Monday, January 29, 2007

A story not to tell

What I admire most in Marjane Satrapi, aside from her talent, is her audacity. She has consistently broken Iranian taboos and written about things that should not be spoken of, of all the hypocrisy: like revealing that as an adolescent, she did drugs, like talking about "reconstructed" virginities. I know that many Iranians were offended.

And now she is making a film. The NY Times piece is already archived, but there is a good article and also a short video, both in French.

2 comments:

lotf ali said...

What do you think of this article:

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/feb/1007.html

It's basically a condemnation of Satrapi and others like her.

arthemis said...

Dear Lotf Ali,

Thank you for your visit and the link. I don't think that Marjane Satrapi's books can be compared to Azar Nafisi's or Roya Hakakian's. Lolita did not particularly impress me, nor did the few opinion pieces that Ms. Hakakian produced (I have not read her memoirs). However, the Payvand article that you referred to, in my opinion, has more to do with the ideological fight between two groups of Iranians living in the West -- either of which Ms. Satrapi is not a part of, as far as I understand.